Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Note from Peter Bowler

[Peter is a longstanding Godine author. His Superior Person’s books about weird words and deceitful language have appeared in Godine lists since the mid-eighties, and are among our most beloved titles.]

I came across the Godine Blog site more or less by accident today, and was delighted to find that the firm is holding its head up in these difficult times; David’s comments in interviews make that clear. It speaks volumes for the cause of small, quality publishers that David can maintain previous business levels, that his direct mail drop has done surprisingly well, that he is not unduly affected by bookstore closures, and that he has even been able to buy in a lot of great British books lately. Well done, David! And, on top of that, there is the reflected light of a Nobel Prize, and the continuing readiness of DRG to publish creative writing that many other publishers can’t or won’t.

Those deranged people – my regular readers – may perhaps wonder what I am writing now. My current project is a novel. Subject matter: murder, madness, and mystery in the world of high-end record collecting! Adorned, needless to say, with my usual mixture of cheap humour and ill-conceived displays of recondite erudition. Will it win me the Nobel Prize? Hmmm . . . .

By the way, my email address is pbowler {at} nnsw {dot} quik {dot} com {dot} au, and I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment