Thursday, February 20, 2014

All My Dogs: The Story of Marshmallow


Meet Marshmallow. He’s my 14-year-old Bichon Frise.



Marshmallow and I have been buddies since he was a beady eyed, waggly-tailed pup. He isn’t a just dog to me; Marshmallow is my best friend. Whenever I see him, we have conversations. I tell him how much I’ve missed him, how fuzzy his face is, and how I’d really like it if he stopped begging for treats. Then I get down on the floor and scratch his neck.

This is the story of pet ownership: learning responsibility, growing, and changing with a creature who will always be on your side. This is the premise of Bill Henderson’s All My Dogs, a memoir that details Henderson’s life in chapters divided by which dog lived with him at the time. Henderson’s book got me thinking. How have pets chronicled your life? 



Marshmallow represents my childhood, not just from his silly, sugary name, but from his eagerness and joy. He represents a real, genuine love that has guided me through two thirds of my life, and he's a happy little fellow whom I hope will continue to represent my life for many years to come.

We want to hear how pets have changed your lives, too. Comment with a description and a picture of Fido or Rex and be sure to check out Bill Henderson’s book, All My Dogs, by clicking here. Not to wag our own tails,  but we think it's doggone good.

- Erinn Pascal, Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment