McNair is the author of five books of poetry with Godine: Fire, The Ghosts of You and Me, Lovers of the Lost, Talking in the Dark, and The Town of No & My Brother Running. Donald Hall of the Harvard Book Review said of McNair: "He has a gorgeous ear for the rubbing-together of adjacent words. . . McNair is a New England poet, preserving the speech and character of a region intimately known. Because he is a true poet, his New England is unlimited. Whole lives fill small lines, real to this poet and real to us."
Want to know where you can catch him? Take a look at the calendar below:
2/4/13 - New dates and locations added!
- January (dates, times, places to be announced): one event per week for last three weeks; Poetry Out Loud coaching sessions for Maine students.
- January 24: Maine Poetry Express stop at the library, Swan’s Island, ME (sans poet laureate), 7 pm.
- January 24: Reading from memoir, The Words I Chose at Gibson’s bookstore in Concord, NH, at 7 pm. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 31: Official Maine launch of memoir, The Words I Chose, at the Portland Public Library, 6:30 pm. Contact: email@example.com.
- February 2: Interview on my literary friendship with Donald Hall at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, ME. Afternoon time TBA. Contact Maryli Tiemann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- February 5: Reading from The Words I Chose at Booksellers in Farmington, ME, at 7 pm. Contact: email@example.com.
- February 26: Maine Poetry Express stop at Camden Library, Camden, ME, 7 pm. Contact: Ken Gross, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- February 28: Maine Poetry Express stop at Patten Library, Bath, ME, 7 pm. Contact: Leslie Mortimer, email@example.com.
- March 7: Reading of poetry at York Community College, 4:30 pm. Contact: Doreen Rogan, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March 14: Maine Poetry Express stop at the Waterville Library, Waterville, ME, 7 pm. Contact: Pat Burdick, email@example.com.
- March 21: Maine Poetry Express stop, 7 pm at the Cobscook Community Center, Trescott, ME.
- March 26: Maine Poetry Express stop at the Turner Library in Turner, ME, 7 pm. Contact: Betty Twitchell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 1: Reading at the Maine Historical Society at noon. Contact Larissa Pickard, at email@example.com.
- April 6: Master Class at the 2013 New Hampshire Writers' Project Writers Day, Southern NH University, Manchester, NH. Contact: Carla Gericke, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 9: Maine Poetry Express stop at the York Public Library, York, ME, 7 pm. Contact: Kim Meyers, email@example.com.
- April 11: Annual address as poet laureate at the Blaine House, with launch of Take Heart: Poems from Maine, based on the Take Heart newspaper column, with reading by Maine poets.
- April 19: Keynote address at the 2013 Terry Plunkett Poetry Festival, UMA, Augusta, ME, 7 pm; group reading from poetry anthology,Take Heart, April 20, time TBA. Contact Ellen Taylor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 25: Maine Poetry Express stop at the Solon Meeting House, Solon, ME, 7 pm. Contact: Barbara Sullivan, email@example.com.
- May 2-5: Poetry workshop at the Maine Writers and Publishers Alliance (MWPA) Black Fly Retreat in Grand Lake Stream. Contact: Joshua Bodwell, Executive Director of MWPA, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 14: Maine Poetry Express stop at the Space Gallery in Portland, ME, 7 pm.
- May 24: Reading of poetry at the Young Writers Conference of Champlain College in Burlington, VT. Contact: J.C. Ellefson and Lesley Wright, Ellefson@champlain.edu.
- June 29: Maine Poetry Express stop on Chebeague Island, ME. Contact: Deborah Bowman, email@example.com.
- July 20: Poetry as storytelling at the Western Maine Storytellers Festival, Farmington Public Library, time TBA. Contact: Rob Lively, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 25 (date subject to adjustment): Reading and workshop in The Early College Creative Writing Program, time TBA. Contact: David Stankiewicz, email@example.com.