Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Superior Person's Tuesday!

It's Thanksgiving week, so here is a superior word that is Turkey Day worthy:

Pantophagy n. Omnivorousness, i.e., eating anything and everything. "Sorry to have to say this about my brother, but I should let you know about him if you're really thinking of inviting him into your house. The fact is he's . . . er, well . . . I'm ashamed to say this but I suppose I have to . . . he's pantophagous."

The one time of year pantophagy is celebrated. Happy Thanksgiving!
Each Tuesday, we’ll offer up a Superior Word for the edification of our Superior Readers, via the volumes of the inimitable Peter Bowler. You can purchase all or any of the four Superior Person’s Books of Words from the Godine website. Pantophagy appears in the Second.

No comments:

Post a Comment