Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Superior Person's Tuesday!

Illocuionary a In linguistics, an act carried out as an intrinsic consequence of an utterance, as for example the performance of a baptism ceremony, or the fulfillment of a promise. "You remember what I said I would do to you, young man, if you disobeyed your parents and failed to attend Sunday school this morning? And you remember my mention of the word 'illocutionary'? You will not, then be surprised to hear me say now that I hereby baptise you with this garden hose."


Each Tuesday, we’ll offer up a Superior Word for the edification of our Superior Readers, via the volumes of the inimitable Peter Bowler. You can purchase all or any of the four Superior Person’s Books of Words from the Godine website. Illocuionary appears in the Third.

No comments:

Post a Comment